top of page

Checklist: Who to notify of your name change?

You might change your name through marriage, divorce, or court. Don't forget to update the following information and documents and notify the relevant agencies.

๐Ÿ“‹ Social Security Card

Notify the SSA early cause other agencies learn of name changes through the SSA.

๐Ÿ“‹ Driver's License or State ID

Having an updated license or state ID will make changing your name with other agencies easier.

๐Ÿ“‹ Tax Returns

๐Ÿ› The IRS

The IRS says itโ€™s critical to update names with the SSA before filing your tax return.

๐Ÿ“‹ U.S. Passport

Getting an updated passport will make your travel easier.

๐Ÿ“‹ Naturalization Certificate and Certificate of Citizenship

๐Ÿ› The USCIS

File an application to update the name on your certificate.

๐Ÿ“‹ Veterans Benefits

This is for those who receive veterans' healthcare or benefits.

๐Ÿ“‹ Voter Registration


Requests can be filed online or by mail.

๐Ÿ“‹ Postal Service

Report your name change to post offices that usually handle your mail.

๐Ÿ“‹ State Benefits Programs

๐Ÿ› Your stateโ€™s social services office

Contact your stateโ€™s social services office if you receive SNAP (food stamps), TANF (welfare), or other public assistance.

๐Ÿ“‹ State and Property Taxes

๐Ÿ› Your state taxing authority.

If you own a home, notify the city or county property tax office.

๐Ÿ› Other agencies or companies:

  • Your insurance companies (car, health, home, rent, life).

  • All employers. This sounds obvious, but it's needed for new business cards, payroll and withholding tax forms.

  • All schools, if applicable.

  • Your doctor, dentist, optician, veterinarian, and pharmacist.

  • Your bank or credit union and all other financial institutions.

  • All utility companies (electric, phone, cable, gas).

  • Magazine and newspaper circulation departments.

  • Your landlord or mortgage company.

  • Credit card companies.

  • Your library.

After you change your name

After you change your name, under some circumstances, you're required to provide,

If the document is used in the US, you need to have it notarized (for affidavit) or get a certified copy (for court documents). Then it's ready for use.

If it is used outside the US, the notarized document or the certified copy needs to be apostilled (for Hague Apostille Countries) or authenticated (for Non-Hague Apostille Countries), to make it recognized in other countries.

๐Ÿ’โ€โ™‚๏ธ Apostille Service (for Hague Apostille Countries)

๐Ÿ’โ€โ™‚๏ธ Authentication Service (for Non-Hague Apostille Countries)

The apostille and authentication process can be complicated. If you don't want to spend a lot of time and energy getting into it, your best bet is to let a professional do it for you. Once we receive your order and document, it'll be processed as soon as possible.



American Notary Service Center Inc. provides fair, fast, confidential, and professional document notarization and certification services for our clients. We also provide various assistance services to small businesses led by socially and economically disadvantaged groups. Our service helps small businesses obtain federal government contracts, gain a foothold in the market, and boost their sales. For more information, please visit our website at, and contact us by calling 202-599-0777 or by email at


bottom of page