top of page

How to Replace My US Naturalization Certificate or Certificate of Citizenship?

The following instructions are from the USCIS website, which aims to help our clients get a Naturalization Certificate or Certificate of Citizenship. Having a certificate or a certified copy of the certificate is the basis of apostilling or authenticating it. Apostille or Authentication is usually required when a US document is used in other countries outside of the US.


If your citizenship document was lost, stolen or damaged beyond repair, you may apply for a replacement or apply for a special certificate of naturalization as a U.S. citizen to be recognized by a foreign country.

USCIS Form N-565
USCIS Form N-565


You may apply for a replacement citizenship document if you:

  • Received a Certificate of Naturalization, Certificate of Citizenship, Declaration of Intention, or Repatriation Certificate which was lost, stolen, or destroyed;

  • Received a Certificate of Naturalization, Certificate of Citizenship, Declaration or Repatriation Certificate containing a typographical error made by USCIS;

  • Changed your name due to marriage or a court order after we issued the document and you want a document in your new name;

  • Obtained a court order or a state-issued document that changes your date of birth after we issued your Certificate of Citizenship and you want a certificate with your new date of birth;

  • Received a Certificate of Citizenship or a Certificate of Naturalization and your change of gender is legally recognized through a court order, a government-issued document, or a medical certification; or

  • Are a naturalized citizen seeking a special certificate of naturalization for the purpose of a foreign country recognizing you as a citizen of the United States.

We will not change a name without evidence such as a marriage certificate, divorce decree, or court order. We will not change a date of birth on a Certificate of Citizenship without documentation such as a U.S. court order or state-issued documents.

We cannot make any changes to an incorrect date of birth on a Certificate of Naturalization if you reported an incorrect date on your Form N-400, Application for Naturalization, and then later swore to the facts of your application by signing Part 15, Signature at Interview.

How to File

File online Create a USCIS online account to file online and:

  • Submit evidence and pay fees electronically;

  • Receive case status updates about your case and see complete case history;

  • Communicate with us securely and directly; and

  • Respond to requests for evidence.

If you already have a USCIS online account, simply sign into your account to get started.

File by Paper You must:

Want status updates about your case? Learn how to create a USCIS online account to stay informed.


In case your Naturalization Certificate or Citizenship Certificate is going to be used overseas, please order the apostille or authentication service at the link below.

The apostille and authentication process can be complicated. If you don't want to spend a lot of time and energy getting into it, your best bet is to let a professional do it for you. Once we receive your order, detailed instructions (document requirements, tips, and mailing address, etc.) will be sent to you.

Post you may be interested in:


American Notary Service Center Inc. provides fair, fast, confidential, and professional document notarization and certification services for our clients. We also provide various assistance services to small businesses led by socially and economically disadvantaged groups. Our service helps small businesses obtain federal government contracts, gain a foothold in the market, and boost their sales. For more information, please visit our website at, and contact us by calling 202-599-0777 or by email at


bottom of page