top of page

Notarization and Apostille of Single Status Affidavit

Updated: Mar 1

Getting a Single Status Affidavit is relatively simple, but there are various steps required to formalize the affidavit before it can be used to get a marriage license.

What Is a Single Status Affidavit?

A Single Status Affidavit does exactly what the name implies – it confirms that the holder has never been married, or that any previous marriages were legally ended by death or divorce. Anyone who is planning to get married abroad will be asked to provide this document as proof that he or she is free to marry. It’s also known as a “No Record of Marriage” “Certificate of Freedom to Marry” or “Affidavit of Marriageability” “Affidavit of Single Status” “Single Letter ”“Statement of Freedom to Marry”. They are the same.

Where to Get a Single Status Affidavit Form

There are several options:

  • The local County Clerk’s office can usually provide a blank affidavit form (if available).

  • For citizens based outside the U.S., the local U.S. Embassy or Consulate should be able to assist with creating the affidavit. 

  • You can write one from scratch. You may consult a professional for the draft or simply download the editable template that applies to most situations.

English Version:

English & Chinese Version:

Completing the Affidavit

Single Status Affidavits are short, half-page documents that are really simple to fill out with some basic personal information. Depending on local rules, the affidavit must bear the holder’s:

  • Legal name.

  • Passport number.

  • Birth date and place.

  • Date of previous marriages.

  • The date that previous marriages ended by death or divorce.

  • Name of the other partner in the upcoming marriage and her country of residence.

While not essential, it’s a good idea to attach a copy of any final divorce decree to the affidavit to avoid any last-minute problems.

Any kind of Single Status Affidavit issued in the United States needs to be notarized and apostilled or authenticated before its use in other countries outside the United States.

Notarization Process

The first step is to draft a Single Status Affidavit and get it notarized by a local notary near you. Here are 10 ways for you to find a notary.

Apostille or Authentication Process

After obtaining a notarized Single Status Affidavit, depending on whether the destination country is a member of the Hague Convention of 1961, complete the following steps:

1. Order the service that suits your situation.

If the destination country is a member country/region (such as Germany, Spain, France, etc.):

  • Get an Apostille from the Secretary of State.

If the destination country is NOT a member country/region :

  • Get an Authentication from the Secretary of State.

  • Get an Authentication from the U.S. Department of State. (if required)

  • Get a Legalization from the Embassy.

2. Mail the following documents to our office.

The checklist below may vary by the destination country. Be sure to contact us for confirmation.



​1. Original notarized Single Status Affidavit

​​​It should be properly notarized. This document must be original. Photocopies, scanned or digital copies are not accepted.

​2. Embassy's request or application form

​We'll fill out this form based on the information you provided to us.

​3. Photocopy of Applicant's ID

​Acceptable IDs usually refer to Passport, Driver's License, Travel Documents, Green Card, etc.

​4. Other documents (if applicable)

Mailing Address:

American Notary Service Center
7512 Diplomat Drive, Suite 101,
Manassas, VA 20109

Once we receive your order and document, it'll be processed as soon as possible.


While it is good to be organized, some countries will accept only a recent Single Status Affidavit, meaning one that has been issued in the past 30 to 90 days.

Take China as an example, you may only do one Single Status Affidavit every 6 months, and the affidavit is valid for 6 months from the date the consulate authenticates it. The affidavit must be submitted to the Chinese consulate for authentication within 3 months after it was notarized.

Check with the country requesting the Single Status Affidavit on how old this document can be.


American Notary Service Center Inc. provides fair, fast, confidential, and professional document notarization and certification services for our clients. We also provide various assistance services to small businesses led by socially and economically disadvantaged groups. Our service helps small businesses obtain federal government contracts, gain a foothold in the market, and boost their sales. For more information, please visit our website at, and contact us by calling 202-599-0777 or by email at


bottom of page